Sydney: Hunter's Hill, 1996. First Edition. Softcover, 21 x 14cm, 84pp, signed by six of the "Battlers" and inscribed by Betty James (one of the thirteen) to her friend Jenny. Loosely inserted: A note from Betty and Jim James to Jenny and Bruce (Crawford, of Brisbane) that introduces the book and describes a 25th Anniversary visit to Kelly's Bush where those gathered scattered the ashes of Betty's close friend Marjorie Fitzgerald and those of (battler) Kath Lehany's husband.
Small stain bottom corner of top cover (barely perceptible on the front but clearly visible inside), slightly sprung. Very good. Item #299
The story that led to Australia's first "Green Ban".
In 1971 thirteen women from Hunter's Hill in Sydney approached the Builders Labourers' Federation (BLF) to request assistance in preventing AV Jennings from building on the last remaining area of native bushland on the foreshore of the Parramatta River. The area had been zoned an 'open space' since 1951 but in 1969 new aldermen in council voted in favour of the Jennings development. It was a period during which vast amounts of money were being poured into urban development and many Australian cities lost valuable old buildings while glass and concrete towers took their place, often speculatively. The Battlers for Kelly's Bush formed after a meeting of concerned local citizens in September 1969. The BLF agreed to support them and imposed the first Green Ban to the area. By 1974 there were 42 Green Bans in place in Sydney, holding up over $3000 million worth of development, and ensuring that not all heritage was lost to development. Kelly's Bush became a symbol and a test case, receiving the support of many organisations until finally on the 4th September, 1983, the Premier of New South Wales announced that Kelly’s Bush would be set aside for full public access on a permanent basis.